Reports To: Chief Financial Officer
Opening Type: Open Until Filled
The Accounting Manager is responsible for the agency’s accounting operations. This would include maintenance of accounting records and adherence to generally accepted accounting principles and controls. The Accounting Manager will report to and work closely with the Chief Financial Officer and will directly supervise three accounting staff.
- Support the vision, mission and values and strategics goals of Interfaith Older Adult Programs.
- Oversee accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, billing, deposit processing, cash receipts, bank and balance sheet reconciliations, journal entry preparation, cost allocations and month-end close.
- Supervise, mentor and develop three accounting staff, managing work allocation, training, problem resolution, and performance evaluation.
- Review and understand grant contracts to ensure agency’s accounting procedures comply with grant fiscal requirements.
- Prepare and submit the required cost reports for grants, auditing transactions for accuracy prior to processing.
- Track outstanding grants for cash-flow forecast and analysis.
- Prepare journal entries for all grant accounting, including recognition of revenue and receivables.
- Produce statistical and financial reports regarding grant funding.
- Assist program managers in developing budgets for private and government grant applications.
- Assist program managers in preparing for program audits and related follow-up.
- Review and post all general ledger accounting entries created by Accounting staff.
- Assist in the coordination and preparation for the annual budget.
- Ensure timely creation and filing of 1099 forms.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting required; CPA preferred
- Five plus years nonprofit accounting experience required, including accounting for government grant funding and temporarily restricted funds
- Minimum of one year of supervision experience
- Payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, budgeting, year-end closings and audit preparation experience also required
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to produce work that is high quality with respect to accuracy, timelines and presentation. Must be detailed oriented.
- The ability to prioritize and plan work activities with the ability to use time efficiently to complete tasks and demands of the position
- Good oral and written communication skills a must
- Must exercise the highest level of professionalism, integrity and confidentiality
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills to effectively lead a team – giving and welcoming feedback, while building a positive team spirit
- Provides quality management by continually looking to improve and promote quality, accuracy, and thoroughness
- Computer proficient, experience with Abila MIP accounting software system strongly preferred. Experience with Google Drive a plus
- High level of technical knowledge and skills, including knowledge of nonprofit accounting practices; excellent working knowledge of OMB circular A-133 compliance
- Must be a team player who willingly supports the goals of the organization
- Ability to identify and solve problems in a timely manner as well as provide alternative solutions
- Openness to working with people of diverse cultures, ages and abilities
Interfaith Older Adult Programs’ mission is to provide services and opportunities to support and enhance a sense of well-being for older adults in Greater Milwaukee, to strengthen communities that provide neighborhood-based services and opportunities to support independence and diminish social isolation, and to engage and inspire older adults to serve in impactful opportunities to enhance a sense of purpose and meaning.
Facts About This Job:
Position: Accounting Manager
Interfaith's Central Office
600 W Virginia St, Suite 300
Milwaukee, WI 53204
- Health, dental, vision, and life insurance
- 4 weeks paid vacation plus paid holidays and sick leave
- 403(b) retirement plan and pre-tax flexible benefits
How to Apply:
- Download the application.
- Open and fill out the application.
- When finished, print and sign your application.
- Mail your application (with resume and cover letter for exempt positions) to:
Interfaith Older Adult Programs
Human Resources Department
600 W. Virginia St. – 3rd Floor
Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53204
Interfaith Older Adult Programs is an equal opportunity employer. Minorities are encouraged to apply.