Recreation & Wellness
Now is the time in your life to embrace and celebrate all that being an older adult has to offer. Milwaukee County Senior Centers are bustling with a variety of fun activities for those age 50 and up.
Whether you’re looking for a new hobby or exercises to keep your mind and body in shape, you’ll find an exciting array of fitness, educational, social and recreational activities – all free or at low-cost in attractive, safe environments. You’ll never be bored again!
Plus, it’s a great opportunity to meet people or try things you never had the time to experience until now. Dive into new and exciting challenges that will help keep you physically and mentally fit so you can get the most out of life.
How can you stay active?
- Join a book club
- Play games like bingo, shuffleboard, sheepshead, scrabble or chess
- How about a game of pool, dartball or ping pong
- Draw, paint, sketch
- Expand your computer skills
- Take on hobbies including jewelry making, gardening, woodworking, arts & crafts, sewing, poetry, quilting, scrapbooking, pottery and ceramics
- Learn how to play a musical instrument — some centers offer guitar and piano lessons
- Learn a foreign language
- Visit some of Milwaukee area’s best restaurants with the Luncheon Group
- And so much more!
By engaging in regular physical activity and exercise, you can improve your physical and mental health, and expand your quality of life. When you’re in good shape, it’s easier to do the things you love and remain independent. Exercise is also beneficial to people with arthritis, heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and other ailments. It can even help manage stress and improve your mood.
The senior centers feature a variety of exercise programs to help you set and achieve your goals.
- Take advantage of user-friendly fitness equipment, such as cardio bikes, treadmills, seated steppers, muscle strengthening equipment, hand weights and more.
- Receive a free orientation to the Fitness Centers.
- Improve your balance, breathing and flexibility at a Yoga or Tai Chi class.
- Join a walking group, do aerobics or try Zumba.
- Partake in a Wii bowling tournament or Wii dance revolution.
The bottom line is, get moving!