Interfaith Offers So Many Ways to Get Involved
Whatever your interests, talents, skill or availability may be, Interfaith has a volunteer opportunity to match. You’ll find flexible positions throughout Milwaukee County suitable for adults of any age. There are countless ways you can help:
- Senior Dining
- Neighborhood Outreach
- RSVP Program: Special Opportunities for Volunteers Age 55+
- Senior Centers
- Foster Grandparent Program
- Interfaith Office
Volunteers of all ages can help with a variety of duties, from preparing food to serving meals at senior meal sites throughout Milwaukee County.
Help frail or isolated older adults living in your neighborhood by:
- Providing transportation for grocery shopping, doctor appointments and other errands
- Help with minor home chores and seasonal yard work
- Make friendly, in-home visits to seniors who live alone
- Assist older adults with paperwork
- And more
Each Interfaith Neighborhood Outreach office needs volunteers to provide office/clerical help, assist with special projects and events, and even serve on the Board of Directors.
RSVP Program: Special Opportunities for Volunteers Age 55+
Put your experience to work to meet your community’s needs, volunteer in one of these signature programs:
- Telephone Reassurance Program: Hearing the voice of a friendly, caring volunteer on the phone offers encouragement and reassurance to older adults living alone and can help them be independent safely within their own homes. One simple phone call provides peace of mind to a homebound senior. Knowing that a volunteer will be checking in at the same time each day helps ensure their safety and well-being.
- Tutor Program: In partnership with Milwaukee Public Schools, volunteers in this role work one-on-one or in small groups for 90 minutes per week helping students in grades 3-5 succeed in math and reading. Tutoring takes place right in the classroom, in close collaboration with teachers. In addition to tutoring, RSVP members can recruit, train, support and recognize fellow volunteers.
- Senior Ambassador Program: In partnership with the Milwaukee County Department on Aging, Senior Ambassadors reach out to older adults to educate them on available services and resources in their area. Travel throughout the community to libraries, restaurants, community centers, congregations, shops and housing facilities to meet with older adults and/or their caregivers to discuss resource options.
- Veterans Program: Supporting the efforts of nonprofit organizations in Milwaukee County that aid veterans and their families, the Veterans Program offers flexible volunteer opportunities on a daily, weekly, weekend, or one-time event basis, including delivering groceries, escorting patients at the VA, providing transportation to medical appointments, serving meals at a homeless shelter, and sorting clothing donations.
Interfaith operates five senior centers in Milwaukee County, and each one depends on volunteers to help with recreational and educational opportunities for diverse groups of older adults. Many long-term and short-term volunteer opportunities are available. You can:
- Lead an activity group or teach a class – such as music, art, dance, foreign language, or creative writing
- Assist with clerical work and database entry
- Tend to gardening and landscaping needs
- Help plan, promote and run special events
- Support daily operations as a receptionist, librarian, office assistant, café attendant or Travel Club coordinator
- Join a committee to help with program planning, community outreach and fundraising
Foster Grandparent Program
Foster Grandparents, age 55 and over, provide one-on-one attention to children with special needs, helping them develop the skills, confidence and strength they need to succeed in life by tutoring, mentoring, playing, nurturing, counseling, and giving consistent love typical of a grandparent. Foster Grandparents volunteer at schools, Headstart sites, hospitals, day care centers and developmental centers throughout Milwaukee County. They receive supplemental insurance, a small, tax-free stipend of $2.65/hour, and reimbursement for transportation and meals. A love for children and an average commitment of 15 hours per week is expected. Take a closer look at this program.
Work with Interfaith staff to perform office or administrative tasks associated with the operation of our services. Utilize your professional skills to assist our various departments in Graphic Design, Marketing, Human Resources and/or Workforce Development.